Wednesday, April 13, 2011

SPAIN DAY 1

JP and I finally had the AMAZING opportunity to go to Spain last week with my sister Cara and her hubby Jeff. I served my mission in southern Spain, 15 years ago, and haven't been back since. We have been talking about returning to Europe together since we got married. JP served his mission in Germany (that trip is next year)!!

Cara and Jeff booked a last minute week at their timeshare in Southern Spain and they invited us to join them. I screamed and ran to the passport office the next day. We had the best time. Cara and Jeff kept us running the whole time. We saw and ate EVERYTHING.

First things first, grocery shopping!

ColoCao for Chocolate Milk

Milk in a box..not refrigerated

Fresh Pigs Leg...Hoof included

Yummy, Cured Ham

The men with their grocery bags

Our Apartment

Kitchen

Here is Day One in my favorite area of my mission......CADIZ!

Cara and Jeff

Cadiz lies along the Atlantic Ocean. The older part of the city is on a small peninsula (almost island) out in the Atlantic. So Beautiful!!

La Caleta Fortress



Cadiz is said to be one of the oldest cities in Europe

One of my favorite Cathedrals...probably because of the palm trees!

Authentic Spanish Food...paella, croquettas, calamari, fried fish, prawns, etc.


City View from Bell Tower of Cathedral






Zulima was my FIRST investigator in Spain. She was 17 years old at the time and her parents refused to let her get baptized until she turned 18. We worked hard on them. After a lot of work and prayer, they finally agreed to let her get baptized before her 18th.

Zulima's parents. Mi Familia Espanola. Within a year or so of Zulima getting baptized, the whole family was baptized and sealed in the Switzerland Temple. What an amazing gift to see how the gospel spreads and changes lives. This day was one of the best parts of the trip for me. What a blessing to see the work I took part in on my mission.

La Capilla where I went to church in Cadiz

3 comments:

Brandi said...

Looks like you had a great time Aim. What a trip. I love Spain. I've been there once, but I'd love to go back sometime. SO glad you got to catch up with some of your mission people. I bet that was amazing!

Mom said...

Brings back memories to me, too!! Does it feel like a dream already? Glad you got to go!!

Maria said...

Yay Germ! I loved going back to Spain and I especially loved seeing some of my converts. So great you could go.