Monday, August 10, 2009

The Kind of Person I Want to BE!


WWII Pilot


In HONOR of a FALLEN HERO


"Our Life Together is Our Happily Ever After"

My dear grandfather passed away a couple of weeks ago, at the tender age of 86, just 6 short months after my grandma (his childhood sweetheart) passed away. His health wasn't too bad, his mind was still sharp as a nail, he just missed his sweetheart too much!! I miss him A LOT, but know that he is so happy to be reunited with his companion, his son, his grand-daughter, and other family members. Part of me is jealous thinking of the wonderful reunion they are having without us. But, I will patiently wait my turn. I was lucky to be able to attend his funeral and be with the rest of my family. What a blessing FAMILY is!!! AND, what an AMAZING man my grandpa was. I always knew he was one of a kind, but to hear and learn more about his life at his funeral, I am proud to be his grand-daughter. Here are "some" of his life accomplishments....just to name a few (thanks Liz for the summary).

He flew B-25 bomber planes during WWII and was enormously devoted to his country
He spent over 30 years as an educator, and an administrator at Mt. Sac College in CA
He recorded Math textbooks for the blind for 20 years
Was a member of the Lions Club for 40 years
Member of the Christ First Baptist Church for 57 years (and sang in the choir for 40 of those years)
Has four children, 21 grandchildren, and 23 great-grandchildren

WHAT A LEGACY!!! I only hope I can accomplish HALF of what he did in his life. I want to BE like my Grandpa.

Here are some pictures of visits we had with them over the years in California. I am so happy my kids were able to know both my Grandma and Papa Bell. I hope I can keep their memory alive FOREVER. I will always be their #1!!





2 comments:

Mike and Laura said...

I miss them both! Your pictures made me teary-eyed. Thanks for sharing! Love you!

Brandi said...

Sorry to hear about your grandpa Amy. He sounds like an amazing man. Love the picture of him with the little guitar. So cute!